Autumn is here, one of the prettiest seasons, a time we start to wrap up, hunker down and get cosy of an evening. so I thought i'd take the opportunity to tout to you about the moody colours that are so on trend at the moment and see if I can inspire you to reach for the roller!
Its during the Autumn and Winter months that dark interiors really come into their own, they cosy up a room no end with the fire going and the candles flickering, always with a throw or sheepskin to hand and its the time of year I fully take advantage of a night in.
Rewind a year and a large part of my house was still white. If you look back at my 'home tour' pictures you'll see a white fairly minimal decor. I loved this, I lived with it for five years quite contentedly until I got an itch to just paint it dark like my living room. This is a room we snuggle down in at night and it really does have a cosseting feeling. So I just plucked up the courage and went with it, taking a risk and it really has transformed our space. Colours that I wouldn't normally have be drawn to before really shout and compliment a dark colour scheme. Jewel colours, in teal and mustard, mulberry and magneta, even olive and orange! There really is no limit but the trick is to just be brave. I am definitely still experimenting (but I think that's just me, I will never be finished!)
Everywhere you look lately, bars, restaurants, real homes are taking the plunge and creating some magnificent dark spaces. Coincidently Dulux announced recently the colour of 2017 is Denim Drift described as a versatile grey/blue that can take on different characteristics depending on where it's used.
There is masses of inspiration out there on Instagram and Pinterest. If you're tempted but nervous try following some of these tips
- Start small - Paint an alcove or chimney breast, place a lamp in front of it together with a few bits such as a vase, artwork, trinket and watch how everything has much more impact. Even cheap charity shop finds look expensive.
- It will bring your walls 'in' but that's the idea! Your room won't obvious alter in size but by painting them in a darker colour and bringing the walls in you create a cosier feel.
- Layer up - Add as many textures as you can. Throws, cushions in varying textures, velvet with leather, a wool rug placed on a wood floor. Constantly creating friction in your room will add interest.
- Mirrors are most definitely your friend. Mirrors throw light around a room, add depth, reflect and shimmer, which in turn gives you a bit of glamour! Who doesn't want glamour?
- Play with scale. The larger the items the more impact they will have on your room. Don't worry if your room is small, more larger items as opposed to lots of smaller items will look so much better and give the illusion of space
These delectable images from Pinterest perfectly demonstrate how sophisticated your interiors can look with a splash of dark paint.
Tempted to have a dabble? Here's my pick of dark and jewel coloured pieces to help create the cosy dream....
Alvie Table lamp - Pooky
Paint - Denim Drift by Dulux
'Modesty is overated' Art - Abigail Ahern
Feather Juju - Rockett St George similar here
Hope i've given you an insight to styling it dark, and inspired you to bit a touch braver. If you fancy browsing real rooms styled dark check out the #styleitdark on instagram there are some amazing entries and the hosts themselves @artynads, @jazzierere, @cowboykate have plenty for you to gander at!